Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pics from James Town and Big "dollar store" market

This was a fun day, it was my first weekend in Ghana, so I stayed in the city and hang out with my house mates and other volunteers that were around. We visited James Town and a very busy market that sold items you'd see in a dollar store. So I called this market the Big Dollar Store Market.

Quick history on James Town: It originated as a community that emerged around the 17th century British James Fort on the Gulf of Guinea coast, and became a part of Accra as the city grew. A lighthouse, the Jamesfort Light, was built by the British at James Fort in 1871. Jamestown is now a fishing port populated primarily by the Ga, an indigenous people of coastal Ghana. It is also a tourist destination for those wishing to see the remnants of Accra's colonial past. The original lighthouse was replaced in the 1930s by the current Accra Light, which is 93 ft (28 m) tall with a visibility of 16 nautical miles (30 km).

James Town, beach view

Kids from James Town

More Kids from James Town

Jamesfort Light


Mugged for Candy

Jolof Rice with Chicken

I like the bubble dresses.

More from the Market...


This is my roommate Rikke.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there. There's a lot of nice smiles in your photos!

    We miss you, but you sound like you are having a blast

    Love
    Jen (and Dale:)

    ReplyDelete