Tuesday, March 23, 2010

1985 (Artist Statement Part 2/2) An installation of dreamy pin-up drawings from 1985.

There are two parts to this installation. The first part is based on the physicality of my bedroom from 1985, located in North York in a town house complex, which was and still is a haven for the ultimate suburban life. The posters in the gallery are duplicate prints of my original drawings printed on poster paper. The original desk and the ghetto blaster I used to listen and record from are also included in the installation. The soundtrack in the gallery is played from the mixed tapes I recorded from the radio and TV in 1985 and respectively from 1984. These are the cheesy retro 80’s songs I listened to while I drew, it was the most comforting thing for me at the time.


(image: Cassette Series (Tears for Fears no.1), Mixed Media on Cassette Case, 2010)

The second part involves my current art making practice mixed with the 1985 drawings traced directly on the cassette case. It’s an installation with a grid of cassette cases hung on the wall. Each one is individually drawn and painted on the inside of the back door of the case. And each case is accompanied with a mixed tape I made from my collection in 1985.

(image: Cassette Series (Ricky Schroder no.1), Mixed Media on Cassette Case, 2010)

This exhibition is a celebration of knowing what I wanted to do with my life 25 years ago. I knew after the 3rd or 4th drawing in May of 1985 that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Draw and listen to music. Life didn’t quite turn out that way, but it’s pretty close since I still do it in my adulthood along with other responsibilities and events that occur daily.

(image: Cassette Series (Prince no.1), Mixed Media on Cassette Case, 2010)

This show is dedicated to Sylvia Horowitz who shared that experience with me in 1985.

1 comment:

  1. the cassettes looks awesome! can't wait to see the whole grid.

    ReplyDelete